ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:05:20 -0500

I'll have to disagree here, Jeff.

I've seen kids using a hand-cranked generator to power different sorts
of devices. They are motivated to get the things working, and feel their
triumph when they do... But they also come away with a "Whew!" kinda
look. I'm just basing this on my unquantified observation, but I think
the concept that "that took a lot of work" and its implication ("I
wouldn't want to have to power everything that way") DOES come across,
loud and clear.

Visual, audio and mental stimuli don't speak as forcefully as tired
muscles.

Just a thought,
Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
The Children's Museum

"Complimentary and alternative medicine" is the technical term for
"something your hairdresser saw on Oprah".
         -Newsweek