ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:58:21 -0400

Go to secondlife.com and register.  There is a free option that gives you a
character with no money.

The first place you go "in-world" is Orientation Island.  You must complete
4 basic tasks there in order to get access to the rest.  There are a number
of other tasks to complete on orientation island that will help you
understand more about how the game is played.  If you Google second life,
you will also find blogs, support sites, etc.

Also, I will echo the comments about computer speed - it's essential to have
a computer with beefy graphics and lots of memory.  Even with a good
computer, the SL landscape can be aggravatingly slow to load at peak use
times.  This phenomenon is so prevalent it has a name, "lag," as in "The lag
is really bad today."

One thing to consider in using Second Life in a Science Center is that
Second Life is only open to those 18 and over.  Naturally, since it is an
honor system, there are lots of 14-year-olds running around SL pretending to
be 18, but it doesn't strike me as something we want to encourage.

Dave Smith, AKA Diehel Guyot in SL, but never on line these days as I gear
up for end-of-summer workshops.

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center