ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:20:39 -0500

I don't know of any empirical research on this, but, like others, I would be
interested in seeing it. It seems that perhaps the marketing/operations arms
of institutions would be good sources to ask for "in house" data to support
this claim. If those people are not on the listserv, then it might help to
ask them for any ideas.

One thing that occurred to me is that you might be able to make your case in
a roundabout way by looking at membership numbers. For example, if an
institution had, say, 500 family memberships and then built a
program-intensive area (e.g. a Lab or an early childhood area) and family
memberships increased to 1500, you might be able to conclude that the
program-intensive area a) increased memberships, and b) increased repeat
visits (on the rationale that members visit an institution frequently).

Homeschool group visits might also provide some data. If you have homeschool
groups that visit multiple times during a year, it might be worth giving
them a call and asking them why they come back. It wouldn't be the most
systematic data ever collected, but it might be a good start.

Bill