HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 01:30:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/2007 6:06:21 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Also,  a
good farrier can make specialized shoes for horses with gait  problems
other physical problems.

Right you are, Smoke! My field crew excavated a buried mule along a dirt
road between the Post Cemetery and Post Hospital at United States Army, Fort
Rosecrans about 12-years ago. We exposed the skeleton, drew and photographed it,
took hair and skin samples, and collected the unusually thick right rear
"horseshoe" that some very clever farrier created to solve this animal's foot
problems. The mule remains where we found it, but under a truckload of gravel
for protection.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.