text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (68 lines)
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:15:10 -0400, Richard Ashton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>FROM A BEGINNER, A QUESTION:
>
>Can bees be raised organically by using the following:
>
>1. Screened Bottom Boards (or open bottom boards)
>2. Drone Cell Foundation/ Rotation-Removal Program
>3. Syrup & Dispersible Essential oil sprayed on Brood in Swarm Season
>4. Using Bee Feed & Syrup/Essential Oil Feed/Supplements?
>
depends what you mean by organic, we have a continuum with extreme organic on one end (input 
nothing, no feed and let em die if need be) to USDA organic which no one can figure out how to 
conform to and generic organic which appears to be a wide variety of practices that avoid adding 
unnatural materials to the hives.

Item #1& 2 would give some level of protection to mites. Nothing like testing though to see where 
your mite loads are. This is also a focal point for any IPM approach. Depending where on the 
organic continuum you lie, oxalic & formic acid, thymol (apiguard) and powder sugar would all be 
good "organic" treatments should your mite testing indicate a problem in fall. The bottom board 
and drone comb will not be of any use during the winter in regions that have a winter shut down 
period. See the American Bee Journal for Randy Olivers articles on mites in the last 3 issues or so. 
He is also promising more detail on drone comb rotation in future issues. He also has a website 
www.randyoliver.com with some of the articles archived.

I'm not sure what value if any items #3&4 would provide. If you need to feed bees and your 
organic philosophy will allow feeding then feeding syrup would be a good idea to get them 
through early spring or an upcoming winter. Honey bees need some honey (or syrup) in their 
brood nest in spring to build up and likewise need the same as in 30-60lbs to get through a 
winter. The amounts depend on were you live and the strain of bees you keep. 

I would include an important factor missing from your list. What level of mite/disease resistance 
are the line of bees you are working with?  Also does that line have any behaviours or traits that 
lend them to your climate were you live? Italians would not be the best for instance if you are in 
the northern regions of USA. A russian or carniolan strain would be bettter. Within each strain you 
have breeders selecting for various traits that would be beneficial for operating in an organic 
fashion. 

I beleive that farming organically wether bees, fruit or animals starts with selecting the right strain 
or line of plant, insect or animal. 

I see too many folks struggling to produce something organic and they never did any research on 
the differences in various plants or animals and their relationship to diease or pests. 

I beleive being an organic farmer involves more then a philosophy of using natural or no inputs. It 
is understanding the thing you are trying to grow and also undertand the life cycle of the pest and 
diseases that will be working against you and creating a system that recognizes these tradeoffs.

To some simple minded people growing organic is just not using various materials or practices as 
if its a yeah or nay decision. Its not that simple if you are running a business and want to be 
successful. 

My favorite story related to this concept concerns apples. I grow apples in addition to keeping 
bees. I had a lady call me and tell me about her 300 "organic" apple seedlings she was growing. 
She had carefully saved her seeds from organic apples and had propogated them in a greenhouse 
and nursery. 

She had done no research on varieties and no research to figure out that apples are grafted from 
scion wood. An apple seed will produce some relative of its parent apple. Most relatives are often 
inedible and have no resemblance to the apple it came from. 

Good luck with your endeavor...

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2