Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 17:55:30 GMT
>>How have the heavy bee losses over autumn and winter affected the
number of swarms this spring? Here in eastern Missouri swarm calls are
almost nonexistent compared to last year.

It's been the same here in south-eastern NY.  Last year I received 3
bee calls in the 1st week in May and then it was almost non-stop for
5-6 weeks with calls every week.  I've heard of only 2 swarms this
year and they happened to other folks.

I've received 2 calls that were false alarms - ground-nesting
solitary bees.  Not sure of the species.  They look like carniolan
honey bees although a little smaller.  Fast flyers.  Not easy to
catch.  Stingless.

For us, the bee calls normally start after the first period of hot
weather in the spring.  The swarms hit the trees, bees fly more and
are more noticeable to homeowners, the phone rings.

The spring has come late here this year, it's been cool (in the 40's
some nights).

I have NO reason to believe we had any significant bee losses.  I saw
honey bees foraging on autumn olives 50 yards from the sea shore
yesterday.  The seashore tends to be cooler this time of year than
further in-land.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY