From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 05:36:23 EST

This seems similar to what happened to some of my hives in the early years
of Varroa.  It seemed to affect the colonies that had earlier produced the
most honey and had seemed prosperous at the previous inspection only a few weeks
earlier. An extreme example was just 12 (I counted them) workers and the
queen  being left.  The problem hasn't re-occured since I have been practicing
anti varroa methods (except in one instance last year when I neglected to do
so).

I would suggest that with the diligent application of IPM the problem may  go
away.

Chris