From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:49:44 -0400
Mike,
The honey house will always be a problem when SHB is present.

I could fill pages of posts on possible solutions but the first is to not
bring the SHB in with supers. Easier said than done.

Second is the hot room. Once you crank up temps both moths and small hive
beetle go into the egg laying stage.

Third has to do with honey house humidity.

Most beekeepers are simply dealing with the SHB/honey house problem but key
to SHB/honey house problems solutions are the above.

The best solution in Florida (besides pulling the honey in the morning and
extracting in the afternoon) has been a bright light in a corner to which
SHB is drawn and then the SHB is killed.

Solution I have been considering with SHB:

I am thinking of a commercial dehumidifier liked used to pull moisture out
of overseas containers on ship. Can pull the humidity down to 10% in a
short period of time. If you enter the area without a mask you get a nose
bleed.

Would bring the moisture out of the honey quickly and believe would effect
the SHB but only something I have been thinking about. Has members of the
list information on the use and dangers of those type of commercial
dehumidifiers?

Bob