From:
Ian Steppler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:48:10 -0500
>>Not only do I see a potential for added income from pollination
contracts if handled / developed in the correct manner - BUT:

There is the potential for the honey market to be disrupted in the
future as larger surface areas of nectar producing come into being.

- Too much honey??

We might possibly be heading into that direction, there is alot of land
out there undeveloped, and alot of people who could take the production
off that land if just given the chance.  The beekeepers will follow, no
doubt about that.
Lets just hope we can narrow our cost to compete with their productions.

I agree, this might be were pollination comes into play.  Many beekeepers
in the US already rely pollination as a stape to thier existence, we have
always had the ability to produce big crops to make the numbers work.
Perhaps a more diversified income is down the pipe.

BUT, I cant see farmers paying for pollination up here, any different than
they dont already now.  The benefit of pollination is so hard to measure
to the farmer, they dont see that its the bees within the area providing
them with the well pollinated crop.  We already have more than enough bees
in this are to cover all the pollination requirements needed.

It would be nice to have an almond industry up here, that REQUIRES bees to
produce a crop.

Do you see the opening of the boarder a potential advantage to Canadian
beekeepers in terms of pollination services we can provide California?
Or do you perhaps see the advantage far outweighed by the easy migration
of Small hive beetle and Americanized bee populations to establish?
Not taking any sides, just asking for discussion,

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *