From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 18:25:20 +0200
>" I am using 75 g / 1 litre of water / 1 kg sugar"

>This is almost twice the concentration suggested by our provincial people
>(which I think came from the Canadian Honey Council) of
>35 g / litre of 1:1 syrup.

The difference is not that big. 1 litre of water + 1 kg of sugar makes about
1,6 litres of  50 % solution. I use and recommend here 4 ml / seam filled
with bees, 40 ml max for hive with one box. 50 ml max for hive with 2 boxes
full of bees.

When talking about grams it is always important to know what we are talking
about. Iam talking about  the weight of oxalic dihydrate, the normal powder
that is sold in many places . Sometimes recipies mean the weight of just
oxalic acid. Dihydrate has water in it so  75 g of dihydrate has much less
oxalic than 75 g of pure oxalic acid. Sometimes scientists say the amounts
in just oxalic acid.

Have never seen oxalic acid on market in any other way than dihaydrate. Does
pure oxalic acid exist in powder form ?

Ari Seppälä

Beekeeper and advisor

Finland