From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 00:54:24 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, D.
Murrell <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Ah, the old commercial versus little guy debate:>) I've been both, so have
>some experience in these areas.

Not the point Dennis. In any case so far as I see it, especially over
here, a professional is in most cases still an intensive beekeeper who
just works much faster. We get amateurs, big fish in those circles, who
watch in awe at the speed with which we do things, yet we still see it
all, and they think they see something we missed and ask us later, but
have always seen it.
UK commercial bee farming IS an intensive practice, otherwise poor or
small harvests become your norm.

The point is that for some reason more than one of these people decided
to get shirty with him and no information was forthcoming.

Now just how are readers, of whatever scale, supposed to form any kind
of opinion on the status of the writer if they will not answer simple
questions like that. They do not know if this is a small scale novice
who swallowed a 'feelgood' manual, or  a serious and experienced person
carrying out proper control checked experimentation.

>But assuming colony count and
>making money somehow negates the value of others observations/experience is
>short sighted. It's a kind of commercial bigotry which is common in the US.

Its nothing really to do with that. I feel that it is fair to examine
the credentials and agenda of a person making a claim before giving
their statements the appropriate weighting in how it relates to my
situation and practices. Do not turn this into any kind of a war. I and
others doing the questioning are not those making a claim so do not turn
the heat on the questioner.

>And it's somewhat ironic for I know of many commercial beekeepers that would
>go to any end, including sacrificing colony health and/or product quality,
>to make a dime.

IMO that is not good bee husbandry you discuss, and if doom beckons them
they probably deserve little better. In terms of husbandry a good
amateur and a good professional should be essentially the same, just
speed and time per hive that vary. There is however little correlation
so far as I can see between minutes per colony per visit, and the
quality of the attention given in those minutes. The experience,
observational skill, decision making ability, and dexterity of the bee
man/woman are more important.

>So, the challenge is out. Just what are you 'big' guys producing? What were
>your colony counts/production before the mites. And what are they now? I've
>provided some numbers. Let's see who is willing to go there! Who wants to
>splatter these details over the internet where everyone, including your
>economic competitors can see them. Not many I'll bet;>)

Classic small cell debating tactic............who did I hear make a
claim there? Allen asked a reasonable question and got no acceptable
type of answer. If you don't make a claim why should you have to stand
scrutiny? Turn the heat back on the questioner. Not on. Make a claim and
be prepared to justify it....otherwise you WILL get a lot of scepticism.
FWIW, I have individual yard records, complete with yield, colony count,
averages etc going back 35 years here, originally for interest, and
lately as a by product of tracebility legislation that can trace every
drum back to the yards of production, and follow the colonies back over
the last 3 years. So I HAVE all the statistics to hand. I am happy with
how things are going. And you are right, I am not going to splash it all
over Bee-L, because firstly I dont want to bore people and secondly I am
not claiming to have the cure all system.

>I appreciate a variety of views and experience. These provide me with the
>opportunity to evaluate new observations and ideas that I would never
>encounter in my isolated part of the world.

Me too, and the key word in there is evaluate. Once I have done so I
will steal a good idea from anybody!

To evaluate requires knowing something about the substance of the person
giving the info.
--
Murray McGregor