Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:29:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I am not a bee researcher, but  I do have a background in engineering and worked with some 
world class PHD's in a research lab for 5 years. 

I can tell you from working at a large forture 500 lab that in a particular field lets say amorphous 
metals there are 1000's of citations from eastern Europe & Russia. We routinely ignored many of 
these articles as many came from underfunded  researchers who did not have modern research 
facilities or analytical equipment. 

When I see a study by Marla Spivak, Tom Seeley or one of the other dozen or so respected bee 
researchers on small cell I will take the claims more seriously. Finding one or two articles from 
someone no one has every heard of means nothing at this point. 

Nice try though.

What makes the small cell cult seem so wacky are the claims that all bee diseases and problems 
with invasive pests just magically go away on small cell. In fact I'm waiting to hear soon how the 
small cell magic even solves a SHB infestation too ....shazam! 

My experience with science has taught me that the world is not so simple. Interactions can be very 
complicated and a seasoned researcher must assemble a well thought out study to sort out the 
different variables. So on the surface the breadth and scope of the claims made on this board 
concerning small cell just don't pass the basic science lab smell test.

I suspect that for that reason there has been no credible study by a major researcher completed as 
the claims just do not have enough basis to warrant a full scale study.

btw I have personally asked Marla Spivak about 2 or 3 years ago what she thought of the small cell 
claims and she gave me a general answer of not likely credible.

I just don't see anyone beyond the backyard wannabee scientist making any substantial claims on 
small cell..... do you? 

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2