HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:05:07 -0400
Apologies for reposting, what I meant to post was stopped as Google
engineers repaired the email account at gmail they said.

Thanks for the clue. The Washington Post is much clearer and has a
photo essay which shows the contrast in the mortuary practices between
the two in situ. The archaeological evidence appears to be
mis-reported in the NY Times.

link

There's also a report of troops getting archaeological playing cards
in Iraq to help them recognize archaeological sites, imploring them to
drive around them rather than over them.

I still have a picture in my mind, from survey, of the small palisaded
village site that is "Pine Camp #1" archaeological site at Fort Drum
with the wooden snow fence around it except where the tank tracks had
pulled up and stopped just over the fence. It's been part of the
research on the "St. Lawrence Iroquois" thought one of the earlier
groups of their legacy in the "A2A" area (Algonquin to Adirondack)
known for its interesting maize based agricultural settlement (wild
rice?) patterns and wildlife, and according to some recorded legend,
site of the early "state formation" of the League of the Iroquois
noted by Benjamin Franklin, as to perhaps be emulated in "America".
There's even some early stone canal structures according to Parks
Canada that have been difficult to date in the St. Lawrence Seaway
opened by President Eisenhower and Queen Elizabeth near Fort Drum, NY.
And a secret "Skull and Bones" compound in the Thousand Islands nearby
in the news again over the alleged theft of Geronimo's bones by the
Yale University "fraternity" while President Bush's grandfather was
there.

George Myers