HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:07:49 +1000
I had wondered whether the example I illustrate is a once-off produced by an enthusiastic amateur.

However since my original post I find that there was one sold on Ebay that also looks like having a flaked edge.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-ART-DECO-BEVELLED-EDGE-WALL-MIRROR_W0QQitemZ230138393280QQihZ013QQcategoryZ364QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The mirror itself is different in shape. So if I am correct in my interpretation of the Ebay item then it looks as if lithic technology was, for a time, generally applied to the decoration of mirrors.

Incidentally, in the case of the mirror I illustrate there is no bevel around the edge of the glass before the flakes were struck. So they were struck from a 90 degree intersection between the striking platform and the dorsal surface.

How was it done with such regularity of size, form and spacing of flake scars?

My speculation is that the glass was held on a flat surface in a jig. There was a weighted bar, with a series of regularly spaced protrusions aligned along its underside to act as punches. This bar then dropped down in runners from a fixed height onto the glass, producing all the scars on one edge simultaneously. I cannot believe that a knapper worked around the edges with a hammer and punch. The scars look too regular in form and spacing.

Are these mirrors the only case of the modification  of stone age technology to automated mass production of industrial goods?

Richard