HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:33:31 -0400
But as we can not be experts on all subjects, we tend to specialize.
And the vast majority of American archaeologists are trained as
prehistorians. If they have historical training it does not include
industrial processees. Too often "industrial archaeology" is all
about workers' housing and other "domestic" subjects because that is
what the archaeologists doing the work are trained to do. Many can't
tell the difference, for instance, between metallurgical slag and
clinker from coal. The first is, until the introduction of modern
production control, an integral part of the process and often can
provide more information than the metal produced. The later is just
industrial waste. Generally interesting only because coal/coke is not
used until various problems associated with it are sorted out.

Which does not mean that just looking at the process and the
industrial structures and equipment is doing justice to the site
either. You can't make a product without workers. But by the same
token the workers wouldn't be there if there were no jobs.

I also have problems with restricting industrial archaeology to a
time period. Iron blast furnaces, for instance, are industrial well
before 1800. Whether Laphyttan in the 1200s (?) qualifies is
problematic. There are also glassworks, merchant mills, tanneries,
and iron bloomeries that are industrial in scale.

James Brothers, RPA