ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kristin Ludwig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:59:56 -0700

Hi Bill -

There used to be >30 institutions in the US and several overseas affiliated
with JASON known as the JASON "PINS" sites (primary interactive network sites).
Off the top of my head, these included the Denver Museum of Nature and Science,
the Bell Museum, Bermuda Biological Station, Johnson Space Center, National
Geographic, Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, and others. You may be able
to get a PINS list by emailing [log in to unmask] Most of these institutions
sponsored teachers and/or students to participate in the annual JASON
expeditions and I know the JASON curriculum was used by many science teachers
across the U.S.

JASON is now a subsidiary of the National Geographic Society, and recently held
a July, 2006 Action Summit to highlight their new "Monster Storms" curriculum.
(More information is at
http://www.jason.org/jason_academy/expeditions/action_summit.htm). You may also
check into Ballard's relatively new project, "Immersion Presents"
(http://www.immersionpresents.org), which is a program similar to JASON and is
based at the Mystic Aquarium/Institute for Exploration in CT.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kris

Kristin Ludwig