HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Lunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:37:50 -0500
Right. And I think it's a direct result of how Americans have spent the last
few decades dumbing everything down. We don't want anyone to feel bad, so we
keep lowering the bar, and there's not really an easy way back out. Our
society is very much against intellectualism. We don't like to think that
someone may know more than we do or be capable of things that we aren't...it
goes against our concept of equality. And, as much as I'd like to think that
journalists would be better about such things, some of them choose to
introduce conflict where there is none or to perpetuate conflict in order to
keep their readers' attention.