HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay and Beth Stottman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay and Beth Stottman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:47:47 -0400
Are you absolutely sure that it is a well?  It could have been a privy.
Most of the privies that I have seen here in Louisville are circular brick
and were very deep 15-30 feet deep.  They are often mistaken for wells.
Anyway, with these privies I have seen several instances where ceramic pipes
were punched through the sides of the privy wall.  This represented a
transition to indoor plumbing which emptied into the old privy pit.

I would not be surprised if old wells were used in the same way once houses
were connected to city water.  While this is contrary to our sanitary
perceptions, this was not the case in the late 19th and early 20th century
for many cities in the U.S.  While most physicians were well aware that
water polluted with invisible pathogens caused disease, may public officials
and the general public still ascribed to the out of sight, out mind sanitary
philosophy.  I imagine that any deep hole would have made a good cess pit
for home owners.  I have also seen old wells and cisterns used for lot
drainage and to collect run off after their original use ceased.

I would start with local ordinances regarding water service, well and
cistern construction/maintenance, privy construction, or sewer connections
for the time. Also, look at health department or sanitation department
reports.  They can help explain the transition in sanitary and water
technology and sanitation philosophy.

M. Jay Stottman
Staff Archaeologist
Kentucky Archaeological Survey