HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2008 13:52:13 -0400
The only makers marks I've seen on 4'x8' plywood sheets on saw-horses
(Abraham Lincoln once brought one to a race) full of creamware sherds from
ceramic shop deposits at the "175 Water Street" site in NYC had been
impressed "Herculaneum" with a green tinge from the glaze apparent on the
"creamware". I've also heard here there may have been a small industry in
once important South Carolina (not that it isn't today, when ships were at
sea in trade then more important than other places perhaps) and considering
that British industry was "impounded" often (as in the ordnance industry,
some of their workers given false identities and worked in the West Point
Foundry in some of the latest issuance of "industrial indenture"
known, Rutsch, et al) it's possible. Or like some of the "Chinese" porcelain
wares, made by settlers elsewhere i.e., in the Philippines by Chinese
crafts-people there. Giraffes in Beijing!

George Myers