HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:45:06 -0400
In regard to O.G.R., the following solution was provided by Frank Sternad,
who is not a member of this list, but an expert on old pharmaceutical
bottles.  Frank's email to me is quoted verbatim:

	"Since his entry for "O.G.R." relates to a bottle user in Boston, I
checked my 1896 Boston Directory (Sampson, Murdock & Co.) and found a
listing for O. Gordon Rankine, a dealer in glassware and druggists'
sundries (see attached ad from page 2186). The ad indicates that he was a
drop-ship agent for glass factories in Baltimore and Philadelphia, and had
only a postoffice box for a business address.

	Oscar Gordon Rankine is listed in the 1880 federal census in Boston (res.
13 Howland St.) as a "clerk in glassware," and in the 1900 census at 76
Berwick Park, no occupation mentioned. He was born in New Brunswick, Canada
(1854 or 1857), and immigrated to the U.S. in 1876."

	Frank also sent me an ad from this company, which I can forward on request.

Allen  ([log in to unmask])