HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:01:23 -0600
Ron,

Incidentally, you're quoting something that I wrote, not Mike Polk as your
citation suggests. I recommend that you (and everyone else) take the time to
read the 3-page article that Mike pointed-out, at:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4201645.html

Though the author is no stranger to the trade in sensationalism and alarmism
(but what writer for the popular media, these days, doesn't do that? ... you
just about need something scary to hold the attentions of the average
desensitized modern person beyond the half-second norm), he lays-out the
problems (and the solutions that are, even now, being created) pretty well.
He even has the honesty to admit (even though cached in parenthetical
afterthoughts) that what was shaping-up to be one of the most embarassing
fiascos of the digital-age (BBC's much ballyhooed creation of a modern,
interactive version of William the Conqueror's Domesday Book, a survey of
life in medieval England) was "ultimately" salvaged (it wasn't really a
difficult data recovery problem as the author makes it out to be by using
the word "ultimately" ... like there was some huge struggle and grave doubts
of technological success).

"... More than a million people submitted photographs, written descriptions
and video clips for this new "book." It was stored on laser discs -
considered indestructible at the time - so future generations of students
and scholars could learn about life in the 20th century.

But 15 years later, British officials found the information on the discs was
practically inaccessible - not because the discs were corrupted, but because
they were no longer compatible with modern computer systems. By contrast,
the original Domesday Book, written on parchment in 1086, is still in
readable condition in England's National Archives in Kew. (The multimedia
version was ultimately salvaged.) "

Bob