HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rich Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:02:39 -0700
Candace:

That is a generational thing.  Those of us that were spellbound by
Halliburton's (not the company) Airbourne Adventures in the 30's, "Gods,
Graves and Scholars" and the wonderful NGS archaeology articles in the 30's
through the 60's were more into the science and mystery solving rather than
into the romance.  That is what Speilburg grew up on too, and he wanted to
capture in the Indy series.  Times have certainly changed but the old
stories are STILL MUCH BETTER than the garbage that Hollywood is putting out
about archaeology and archaeologists.

I just read a great screenplay about a cultural anthropologist captured by
the Apaches in the 1920's and her adventures in Mexico.  It would make a
GREAT movie but, alas, no sex and just a dash of violence and probably
little employment for the FX people.  It probably will NEVER be made by
Hollywood.

Rich Lundin, WRI