HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:45:21 -0700
Me again...hoping for identification help with badly corroded cast iron
parts...that may be from a gas stove....or ??

Besides a 'gas burner' piece (not confirmed) there are pieces of pipe
that have the patent date of Aug. 25 1885 embossed on them ("PAT AUG
25.85").  I have searched and searched online...with no luck on this
patent date...relating to such items.  :o(

If you know about parts from stoves up to ca. 1920, please contact me
offline, so I can send you a PDF file of photos (some are on my
ArchaeoSeek posts, but not all).

I am thinking the parts are from a gas stove?? but, does anyone have
knowledge of one from this patent date?  or are these even pieces from a
gas stove. ??
Anyone know when were gas cook stoves invented?

The pipe segments have hex head 'bolt head' like 'extrusions' on
opposite sides, at various intervals; however, there is no bolt shank
sticking thru the inside, nor a hole there (which wouldnt be good in a
gas line; but how did the ON/OFF handles attach?).  So not sure what
these are for. ?

There are also cast iron ornamental pieces - with countersunk holes -
that don't seem to fit on a stove...but, I'm not sure.  We only have
fragments...with the word THE - across the top...and an arch below,
starting with LY....  And there's a separate fragment, with just an M on
it...but it may not go with the other pieces. ?

I searched online, thinking it may be THE LYMAN...  and even found a
Fordyce A. Lyman who was issued a patent on the same date, but...it
isn't for our parts.   :o(

Can anyone HELP???   THANKS!

Please dont bother Others on the list with your reply asking for the
photos....email me directly at:  [log in to unmask]

Carol
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>