HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:58:39 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/2007 9:19:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10925368@N07/

The shape is vaguely familiar. It kind of reminds me of ornaments for
standard poles, bar foot rests, or church rails. Could the graveside  ceremony have
included a graveside service in which banners might have hung from  a pole
(Masonic or some fraternal guild) or a kneeling rail? The wide arms at  the top
suggest the shape to which it would have attached. I could not see the
"nubbin," unless you meant the tail-like projection. If so, I suggest the arms
wrapped around a pole and the tail went over the pole. Another possibility is  this
was an ornament for some sort of fancy rifle or musket. In all these
hypotheses, intense research would be needed to rule out and seek better  answers.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.