HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:48:20 -0400
You might want to read, "Two Islands: Grand Manan And Sanibel" by
Katherine Scherman (1971), one island in the Bay of Fundy (actually an
archipelago) with various fishing histories some still working, the
other island, off Florida in the US, the first National Wildlife
Refuge in the US, though its not an ethnographic study per se but
written by a resident of both. Some of my family is from Grand Manan
and I had my first cash in hand picking and drying dulse, a red deep
depth seaweed, there on Indian Beach in 1967 after a 29 days of fog
and rain. Highest tides in the world nearby.

There's a few ethnographies that I recall some from Newfoundland and
another from the "tiny overseas islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon"
that may be of interest (dried codfish). Some of the Caribbean
ethnographies are interesting such as "Crab Antics: A Caribbean Study
of the Conflict Between Reputation and Respectability" in the social
anthropology genre.

If you know anyone looking for a fairly new canning factory, there's
one in Seal Cove Grand Manan for sale I think belongs to Bumblebee who
bought the Connors Brothers (Blacks Harbour, NB) then Brunswick
brands. Seal Cove smokehouses there, where they smoke and dry herring
in wood sheds, I think have been a part of the "triangle" of trade for
many years with the Caribbean, originally settled by "downeasters"
from Maine which wasn't a state in the Union until 1820. They say you
can hear it still in their voices, unlike "God's Country"
up-the-island in North Head and Castalia where the "homestead" was and
a few still buried.

George Myers