HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mitch Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:34:09 -0700
not necessarily. We are publishing an experimental site report from
Leskernick in SW England primarily authored by Barbara Bender, Sue
Hamilton and Chris Tilley at UCL with another dozen people contributing
pieces. The experimental part includes excerpts from field diaries,
dialogues between the cultural anthropologist, archaeologists, and
geologists about the formation of the landscape, sociological studies
of the archaeological  social structure (with responses by the
archaeologists) and even comments from community members on the
project. In addition to being multidisciplinary, it is dialogic, as
many field projects actually are. It is not the first, nor will it be
the last, to take this approach.

Stone Worlds should be out in September.
http://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=40

mitch allen

--- Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In a message dated 7/18/2007 7:48:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> A  multidisciplinary
> approach is when you throw carrots, meat, barley, etc.  into a  pot
> to make
> a stew but never stir it.  One gets servings  of the components, but
> not the
> enjoyable flavor of stew.  This is like  some CRM reports I've read
> where
> the Historian writes chapters 2 and 5, the  arch writes chapters 1,
> 6, and
> 9, the architect writes chapter 3, but no  one puts the whole
> together to
> make some useful contribution to scholarship  and understanding,
> whether in
> History or any other field.  If a report  tells me, well, we found
> six
> butttons, two cracked teacups, and ten nails,  and here's the map of
> where
> we found them my response is "so  what?"
>

> Carl,

Mitch Allen
Publisher
Left Coast Press, Inc.