HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Terrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:02:31 -0700
Hi all,

  Eve Terrell here from Michelle's account as she is in the field, but I'm sure she would share our own experience with trying to draw out these obscure housekeeping tidbits from oral interviews.

  More than a few years ago we were TA's at a field school at a lumber ghost town. (Circa early 20th century, located "oop Nord" in Minnesota.)  A privy was never hit in all the units/tests that were excavated, but we also encountered no evidence for indoor plumbing or septics either.

  There were still quite a few of the inhabitants of the town around and we conducted oral interviews about life in the town at a reunion party. So, we broached the delicate question, "What did you do? Did you have outhouses? Do you remember where they were?"

  No one could recall.  Even with maps and a site visit, they were quite stymied that they couldn't remember what the facilities were.  However, no one volunteered they had, or knew of, any indoor plumbing.  A couple of folks at the end of the day were still discussing how odd this was, that they couldn't remember such a common detail.

  Granted, they were all children when they lived in the town, but it seems a chilly, dark, chipmunk and spider infested outhouse should have made a rather lasting impression on their young minds. I know it did on mine.

  Let's just call this a cautionary tale.

  Best!

  Eva

Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Carol,

One material culture aspect that immediately comes to my mind was
intriguingly covered in a paper that
Mary Farmer did at a SCHAC conference a few years back called "Sweep it
Under the Rug" which can be viewed at SCHAC web page:
http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/archinfo/SCHACfarmer03.pdf

If you get a chance, read this paper, because it indicates how oral history
might be able to help us interpret some observable archaeological patterns
and interpret some quirky formation processes that we might be overlooking.

Anyway, this is something that is pretty basic, but that I find endlessly
fascinating. Of course, getting people to talk about such mundane aspects
as how they swept debris out of their homes, or disposed of their trash, is
sometimes hard to do.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site