HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 23:08:01 -0700
Friends and colleagues: Who said archaeologists have to dig in the dirt?
The truth is that archaeology has a much wider range of applications, even
in the exploration of contemporary society.  A truly novel and fascinating
new approach drives into our cyber-world as In Transit, the latest video
feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology Channel
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org).  We are pleased to announce also that
this is the 100th feature in our growing list of TAC video programs!

In 2006, University of Bristol archaeologists launched an innovative
project: "excavating" a 1991 Ford transit van, used by archaeologists and
others.  This is an exercise in methodology: to see what can be learnt about
a commonplace but complex object through modern archaeological analysis.  It
explores archaeology's potential contribution to understanding society's use
of such objects and examines the very nature of contemporary archaeology.
See in this video how, amid science and method, a rusting transit van can
conjure up both enchantment and melancholy.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Upgrade to Windows Live Hotmail for free today!
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA151