HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 14:49:45 -0500
The Louisiana Division of Archaeology has asked me to post the following
job announcement for a Greater New Orleans Regional Archaeologist.
Please reply directly to Dr. David Beriss; his contact information is
included below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rob Mann, Ph.D.

Southeast Regional Archaeologist

Museum of Natural Science

119 Foster Hall

Louisiana State University

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

225.578.6739

Position: Greater New Orleans Regional Archaeologist

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

The Dept. of Anthropology, University of New Orleans, invites
applications for an 18-month position as Greater New Orleans Regional
Archaeologist and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Anthropology.

The successful candidate will provide technical assistance and planning
guidance to property owners and governmental entities in the region
affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.  The archaeologist will plan
fieldwork in response to inquiries and requests from the public, their
own research interests and priorities, and management issues in the
region.

An important part of the job is sharing information about archaeology
with the public and with governmental representatives.  The
archaeologist will provide information to city planners about known
areas of historical significance, help city and parish governments in
complying with state and federal laws regarding unmarked burials and
archaeological resources, and, with the aid of students and volunteers,
conduct field projects with public tours and interpretation.  In
addition, the archaeologist may teach a course at UNO that is directly
related to the regional archaeology program and to the general
objectives of site identification and protection.

The statewide Regional Archaeology Program has earned strong public
support and professional respect.  It offers a great deal of autonomy
and the opportunity to develop research interests within the region.
The position does not involve fieldwork related to Section 106 of the
National Historic Preservation Act.

Qualifications:  Ph.D. in hand at time of appointment preferred,
although ABD will be considered.  Experience in urban historical
archaeology, with an interest in the Southeast U.S. and Louisiana
preferred.  Also helpful are experience in organizing independent
research, public speaking, report writing, and budget administration.
Send letter of interest, current CV, and names of three references by
July 1, 2007 to:  David Beriss, Chair, Department of Anthropology,
University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA 70148, or email
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.