HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:32:07 -0400
Better get an ARPA permit. The sites are in USACOE jurisdictional areas,
meaning that removal of artifacts is a felony. We've had collectors
arrested here in Kentucky for removal of artifacts during drawdowns.
What I've found from drawdown surveys is that most sites are in very
poor condition (if you can find 'em!), due to erosion. In most cases,
the upper 1 1/2 or 2 feet of soil is simply gone, or conversely, areas
near the head of a drain are buried in deep mud flats.

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Environmental Analysis