HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:57:58 +0100
Not sure talking of opposites is really valid but surely a conservative
approach would be not anti-change but explain it by emphasising the role
of individuals rather than social forces. American evolutionary
archaeology is perhaps about as far away from Marxist archaeology (or
for that matter any archaeology heavily influenced by European
sociological tradition) as one could get - but I would hesitate to use
the word 'opposite' as both were influenced by Darwin but took very
different readings of what was significant in his work.

paul courtney
Leicester