HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:32:08 -0400
There's also the "Southern Disposal Pattern" that Stanley South
discussed as I recall, where purposeful deposits are made of broken
ceramics and other artifacts added to the paths between activity
"centers" (my word) i.e., outbuildings. There are some soils I've
found that unbeknown st to the person treading on them when you add
water become "compensation row" so to speak as slick as ice almost
perhaps why the pattern develops in clay soils, perhaps. Difficult to
determine under a modern landscape they might show walkways to a
subterranean ice house, out-house, corn crib or other outbuilding now
gone.

At the Captain Brewster Hawkins House in East Setauket, NY (naval
architect of "Wanderer" which under Louisiana cotton merchant
ownership became the "last slaver" putting in at Jekyll Island,
Georgia in 1859, and held as a "chess piece" by both sides in the
ensuing civil war) in limited investigations of its "sheet deposit" I
also found large trailed slipware "milk pans" just below the grass in
backyard allowed a "sandbox" for the doctor of psycho pharmacology
form the Lee's of Massachusetts and his wife from Virginia. Brewster
Hawkins ran a ship chandlery from his small stone dock, supplying
ships and boats in Setauket Harbor (nearby "Drowned Meadow" that
became Port Jefferson, NY) before the hypothesized "rebirth" of 18th
century ship building in the 1840s he started that spread also into
"Port".

I sometimes think there may be a "revolution" midden as for example
nearby, the Roe Tavern, a famous spy in Washington's spy network, and
where "George Washington slept here" was moved across the North
Country Road, a small park now.

George Myers