HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:27:33 -0400
Mike Stewart suggested a web-based database for grey literature, and one is
badly needed. Perhaps ACRA could support this. If every contractor set aside
a small amount from the background research section of their contract to
support this, this could generate some funds. Don't know how an audit would
look at this, but it seems to me to be a legitimate use for background
research funds and a legitimate function for ACRA or possibly even ROPA? It
could be set up as a subscription service if there were a question about
this -- i.e. you contribute on a per-contract basis, including your report
if it's not already on file, via a standard subscription for research.

Educational and Government institutions might have some fiscal difficulties
contribution to this on a 'per-contract' basis, but it could be structured
as scholarship or internship program, which might, or might not, satisfy
institutional bean-counters.

Does anybody remember NADB? I didn't think so -- the agencies doing the work
are not supporting it. We need something that works.

Tim T.
Like Mike, I've got boxes of grey stuff from T-Bird