HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:11:37 -0500

In a message dated 12/13/2006 3:55:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Anyone  know the history of hollow cornerstones with
deliberately added  contents?

Tim,

It could be that cornerstones are vestigial (and fun) traditions left over
from Roman builders pits. According to Ralph Merrifield (who we discussed in
the  thread on concealments), Romans introduced the spiritual belief of the need
to  intercede with earth spirits (owners of the land upon which the Romans
wished to  build) and native people adopted the practice with added traditions
thrown in  over time. Romans, and apparently Norse builders, buried offerings
in the form  of precious metals, bottles of wine, and other precious things to
ensure the  earth spirits would not crack the foundations or cause structural
problems. By  the 18th and 19th centuries, builders inserted coins and
mementos and religious  icons "for tradition" (or simply saying, "its custom"). I
suspect the practice  evolved from any taint of spiritual meaning to simply a fun
commemoration of the  milestone of construction. Of course, there could be
practical reasons for  inserting ownership papers in a hollow block of granite
in the foundations as  well. Today, it is just a fun thing to do (like pitching
copper pennies in a dig  pit before backfilling [kind of like American G.I.s
writing, "Kilroy was here"  on walls their military unit passed]), which I
suppose is why no one was  concerned when the kid inserted the curse in the Coke
bottle.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.