HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:01:38 -0500
I just want to add, that University Products, Gaylord, and other reputible
conservation supplier companies have conservators on staff to talk with
regarding your preservation issues.  The buffering papers are much more less
intrusive then the spray and is more commonly used in the conservation
field.  I would hesitate to spray your documents with anything that claims
to preserve things by coating them. Those sprays are good, but cannot fully
reverse or stop the inevitable degradation of acidic papers (newsprint,
blueprints etc).  Photo duplication or digital copying is much more
preservation friendly and would preserve the original form of any documents
you have.  There are many great paper conservators out there who would offer
some friendly advice in this area to those of you who want to do right by
your objects or archives.  There are links to this sort of advice, and where
to find a conservator on the newly published Conservation FAQs hosted on the
SHA website (following the publications link from the home page).  As for
flattening rolled plans, this too is a task that a conservator undertakes
and it can be very time consuming and difficult. However, flattening of
documents is something that a conservator could work with laboratory staff
to do in the right environment and with the right training.

Lisa Young
Archaeological Conservator
Alexandria Conservation Services, ltd.