HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:20:21 +1000
Who am I

My name is Iain Stuart and I am a historical and industrial (with a bit of
maritime) archaeologist born and bred in Australia. I was educated at La
Trobe and Monash University in Melbourne and at the University of Sydney  I
have worked as an archaeological consultant for …a lot of years this is
starting to sound like my company blurb so check out our website at
HYPERLINK "http://www.jcis.net.au/"www.jcis.net.au. It doesn’t mention
however that I live with a dog and cat as well as my lovely wife Jane.

My dirtiest moment

Never own up to having any expertise with septic tanks – unfortunately
during my environmental science degree I did some training in the area of
septics and since then have been given several septic tank problems to deal
with. After a while the sense of how revolting it all is and the smell seems
to fade  Worst job in archaeology was recording a half burnt asbestos cement
sheet house in November in 35degree C. heat while fully suited. I was
cooked.

Field gear

If I were to go fully tactical the gear is – hard hat with attached sun
shade and ear defenders. Sun glasses to the appropriate standard covering
polarisation and safety glass. Long sleeve shirt.  If summer and there is
some walking to do then shorts (I am, aware of Alistair’s comments re shorts
but they are indispensable in the bush) if we are climbing through buildings
or other similar areas then long jeans. Safety shoes or boots with thick
socks. I usually have a camelback pack to put my gear in (typically much of
the space is taken up with camera gear, phone, GPS and various tapes) it
takes 2lt of water.  I have some webbing with bum pouches that can carry
extra items such as a raincoat, lunch and first aid gear. I have a steel
clipboard as well.

Having just bought a tripod for my camera I am trying to think of what to do
with it as it has to hang in a convenient place.  Anyway that’s it for field
gear.

Yours

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

ph/fx  (02)  97010191

HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]

HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]

Check out the website at  HYPERLINK "http://www.jcis.net.au"www.jcis.net.au