HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:12:17 -0700
In terms of "comic books" I think it can be a complicated problem of
culture, perception and behavior. I attended a lecture in
the "Neighborhood House" in Setauket, NY which Mr. Edward Rutsch would
have liked to have been at, a noted industrial archaeologist, but instead
we watched the film he was in about urban industrial archaeology. On the
table were different brochures and literature, e.g., then the local Bronx
Historical Society's "new" yearly canoe trip on the Bronx River, now about
to become a "Blueway" alongside the "Greenway", a small river the British
King George once erroneously ordered Admiral Cornwallis to sail up and
route the rebels in White Plains (perhaps exposed to too much arsenic from
Cornwallis' wig). One "comic book" told the early story of Puerto Rico's
role and noted persons, drawn up by a local high school in the
Bicentennial to illustrate Puerto Rican influence in the history of the
early republic, which I gave to a native who went to work for their press
in NYC. It was produced during the bicentennial.

Another revelation for example connected to the "bicentennial" in
particular was the revelation that Aaron Burr was in Tishomingo,
Mississippi, after the duel with Alexander Hamilton in the Hasbrouck
Heights of New Jersey which resulted in Hamilton's demise, I once
discussed with the Shelby County, Tennessee historian working there in
Mississippi on the Tenn-Tom Barge Canal. Alexander Hamilton's house in NYC
is still a preservation conundrum awaiting a "permanent" site.

I'm not sure if the blanketing of schools with comic books to rival fire
department literature is anyway to deter "looters" in NYC. The
one "looting" case I was informed of, involved an innocent minority
adolescent who had neither motive or means from such an "opportunity".