HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amy Favret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:45:49 -0400
Ok, here goes for my very first post - I too have been a lurker on the list
for about a year.

1. Who am I?

I am Amy Favret, currently working for the Kentucky Archaeology Survey.
Since I don't really have a title, I will just tell you I am unofficially
the "Queen of the Dead" for KY.  I work with human remains from historic
(and occassionally pre-histoic) cemeteries in KY, most notably the Old
Frankfort Cemetery, which I know at least a few of you are familiar.  I have
an MA from Ball State (2005), and have done some cemetery work in Cincinnati
(see dirtiest moment in the field) as well as historic and prehistoric field
work between the BA and MA..

2. Dirtiest moment in the field?

In preparation for the widening of an intersection in a sub-urban area of
Cincy, we were required to excavate and move several "graves."  I say it
like that because these particular remains were at the water table, and when
we got to depth, all that was there was a very gooey bluish-grey clayish
outline of hexagonal coffins and a few in the shapes of bones. Of course the
goo stuck to everything, and stained gloves and clothing an aweful dark grey
color.

3. Ideal field get-up.

I have a lovely pair of cargo-pants, lots of pockets, thin enough to be cool
in the hot weather, and baggy enough to have layers under in the cold,
water-proof boots, and bandannas for the head - they seem to be able to hold
the sweat back better than hats - and lucky for me I don't burn, so no need
for a big hat to protect the neck and ears!