HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:12:42 -0400
I neglected to add what I wear and how dirty I get.

While I often get pretty grotty doing field work, it was actually
while in the Army. There was a REFORGER in Germany when I went 2
weeks without access to a shower. It is amazing what you can bathe
out of a helmet. I did get showered in diesel, but that really didn't
help. Thank goodness it was winter time.

I generally wear jungle boots in the summer and goretex/thinsulate in
the winter. Summer attire is left over BDUs or jungle fatigues (lots
of pockets) and a T-shirt with a broad brimmed hat for in the open.
When doing a linear survey I usually skip the hat as it wont stay on
unless I nailed it to my head (ala Vlad the Impaler). Insect
repellent is, due to the ticks and chiggers, required during most of
the year. As is suntan lotion or long sleeves if you are out in the
sun. When the weather gets cooler I switch to flannel shirts and add
a down vest or winter parka and gloves as needed.

Given a choice I prefer a WHS trowel to Marshaltown (the handle is
more comfortable).
James Brothers, RPA