HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:57:49 -0500
>>Classical archaeology is more the ART HISTORY-based work of
>>Greek/Roman/Egyptian/etc. archaeology of the past (and perhaps the
>>present), that has only in recent years begun to catch up with REAL
>>archaeology :-)
>

>This notion of Classical Archaeology is certainly dated and has been
>for quite sometime.
>
>Paul D. Scotton
>Associate Professor of Classical Archaeology
>Classics
>California State University
>1250 N. Bellflower Blvd.
>Long Beach, CA 90840-2404

Sorry Paul ...  My response was meant to be very general and only in
response to Meli's post ..  Also, my concept of "recent years" may be
significantly different than yours ... I sometimes forget how how
long I have been doing this.
--

Mark C. Branstner
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois Transportation
Archaeological Research Program
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents ... The artificial aristocracy is a
mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to
prevent its ascendancy."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)