HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:35:18 -0400
If you are looking at the occupations listed in census records, you
might be interested in a study that sorted them into larger economic
categories, such as skilled or unskilled blue collar workers, or low or
high-status white collar workers.  See Thernstrom, referenced below.
The classification of occupations into socio-economic ranks that
Thernstrom developed was also used by V. Cowin in her study of
Pittsburgh and to by M. Weber is his study of Parren, Pennsylvania.  I
have found it useful in my on-going study of historic communities around
Pittsburgh.  but I found that not all the occupations I find were
included in Thernstrom's original classification, so I have had to make
some guesses of my own about where additional occupations would fit into
his ranking system.
In my case, I included "gentleman" with "none," "retired," and blank
entires for occupation, in an "Other" category and did not try to rank it.