HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Al Tonetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:00:00 -0400
Digging for artifacts for personal collections or sale on private land has
been around for centuries.  Unless states can convince their legislators and
governors to prohibit such behavior, as Indiana has done for sites that
predate 12/11/1816
(http://www.state.in.us/dnr/historic/archmonth/pdf/lawqa.pdf), it will
continue unabated.  As much as we deplore safari collecting, etc., the
burden to change the situation is on the heritage community.

Al Tonetti
ASC Group, Inc.
4620 Indianola Avenue
Columbus, OH 43214-1861