HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:14:00 -0400

In a message dated 4/16/2006 6:14:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/15/AR200604150118
7.html?sub=AR

A horrifying story, George, but that is why ARPA has the "100-Year Rule."
Back in 1990, the relic-collectors demanded the right to pick up bullets and
arrow-points on federal land and legislators changed the draft wording from
50-years to 100-years to accommodate the collectors. Of course, on federal lands
the 100-Year Rule is nullified by other laws. But I have always feared some
landowner would sell tickets to pothunters to take their chances on
archaeology  sites. Most states have no laws preventing a private property owner from
mining  archaeology for artifacts. In fact, when visiting Skagway, Alaska in
2000, the  curio shop dealers informed me that the baskets of Eskimo bone
harpoons and  other artifacts were being mined from an archaeological site on private
land,  mass-screened, and culled for market. We all have to work on our
legislators to  change those laws to protect American heritage and fight the
collectors through  public education campaigns. I suggest our Virginia colleagues
hire the best  advertising firm money can buy and initiate a television blitz
that vilifies  treasure-hunters for the horrifying things they do to our
history.... then  go back to the legislature to change the laws.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.