HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robbie B Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:56:00 -0500
Efstathios, Stacey, and HistArchers,

Labor and landscape must be in the air.  Paul Reckner, Eric Drake and I put
together a session which addresses similar themes for the upcoming SAA
meetings in San Juan.  We invite you and anyone else interested in these
issues to visit our session on Thursday morning (April 27).  I have copied
our session title and abstract below:

Working It: Archaeological Approaches to Labor, Leisure, and Place

The contributors cast a critical eye upon two pairs of social/spatial
categories central to archaeological thought: work/leisure and
workplace/residence.  These papers focus on the social relations,
practices, and lived experiences within and between these social/spatial
categories.  Practices and experiences are at once structured by spaces,
while they simultaneously construct/reconstruct ideas of both the social
and the spatial.  We attempt to examine the often neglected conceptual and
spatial linkages between these categories of activity and place, revealing
the assumptions that underlie these seemingly dichotomous social
constructions.  We seek to build historically contingent and specific
understandings of labor, leisure, and place.

Rob Mann, Ph.D.
Southeast Regional Archaeologist
Museum of Natural Science
119 Foster Hall