HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:27:55 -0800
Great idea!...using historical society members.

I was wondering about hiring security (even police officers)....since, I
figure some of them are pothunters...as your example shows.

I had forgotten of way back in the early 1980s...there was a well known
prehistoric site ('La Rinconada')...that our company was
excavating...and doing water-screening....so, we were very
noticable...in a residential area (the site had been paved over; used to
be a drive-in theater).  For security, there was a rented chain link
fence (but anyone could easily bust the lock)...but also, several of the
crew took turns 'baby-sitting' the site after hrs and on wkends.  I just
sat in the back of my Datsun (remember those?) truck...and read a book;
easy money (can't remember if we had a porta-potty on-site tho).  Hmm, I
didn't do a night shift...so can't remember if we did that - but would
have had too.