HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:27:33 +0800
I just watched the very entaining video 'The Shovel Bum's Lot' however the
transact and shovel testing method described to find sites had me wondering
how much American archaeologists used aerial photograph analysis to find
sites, particularly historic sites?

I work in Western Australia and the combination of big country and
inadequent pay for the job had me running to aerials fairly promptly. I use
enlarged aerial photographs to pindown promising search areas, find actual
features to investigate and as a mapping tool so that I only physically
measure within discreet areas. Of course aerials are not much use in forests
so may not be much use in the wilds of Arkansas.

I also find they can be useful in an urban context for finding sites in
backyards and areas now paved but open in the1840/1950s.