HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dedie Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:26:31 -0700
Greg,
    I can state unequivocally that your friend's horseshoe is historic.
Horses, equus/Equidae, had been gone for thousands of years in the New
World/Southwest before they were (re)introduced by Spaniards in the 16th
century.  Although I don't have it available at my fingertips, check Marc
Simmons and Frank Turley's book on Colonial Blacksmithing in New Mexico
(something akin to that).  Both Simmons and Turley are farriers and know
whereof they speak.

Cheers!
Dedie Snow