HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:18:43 -0800
Cheryl, I don't remember the specific quote but there is a very through
treatment of the Bancroft school and testimonios in Sanchez's book,
Telling Identities (U Minn Press 1995).
Barb Voss

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Cheryl
Smith-Lintner wrote:

> --Apologies for cross-posting--
>
>   Hi all--
>
>    I seem to remember reading a first-hand  account/quote/comment by a Californio regarding the distortion of truth  by American historians like Bancroft and his assistants re the  collection and publication of the testimonios from 130 (?) or so from  still living residents in the 1880s+.
>
>    I can't find the exact  reference in my Endnote files--I think perhaps it was Mariano Vallejo?   The gist of the comment was that Americans were telling lies/untruths  about the lives of the Californios and they wanted to set the record  straight.  It might even have been pre-Bancroft's collections, i.e. a  reason to tell their story to Bancroft et al?
>
>     Does this ring a bell for anyone?
>
>     Many thanks,
>     Cheryl Lintner

Barbara L. Voss, Assistant Professor
Department of Cultural and Social Anthropology
Building 110, Room 112-T
Stanford University
Stanford, California 94305-2145
phone:  650-725-6884