HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:03:19 -0400
Tim,

The problem with your comment is that HISTARCH is entirely anecdotal and a
free exchange of ideas, tales from the field, one-sided historical events,
thoughts, paradigms and arguments. Publication is an entirely different forum. Had
such an electronic forum existed back in the early 1970s, I am sure many of
those people who tramped around the Great Basin and Mohave Desert in search of
Early Man would have presented a better case than I did yesterday. But what is
the good of keeping thoughts to myself? My real point is that some
academicians have take it upon themselves to suppress archaeological discoveries. As time
goes by and they retire or pass away, new generations with better
communications tools can cough up their anecdotes of the past.

Actually, I am surprised Anita has let us get away discussing Early Man
archaeology on HISTARCH, but of course the real message had to do with suppression
of data and broadly affects all archaeology. At this point in time, historic
archaeologists probably are tempted to excavate Emma Lou Davis' field camps in
Baja California and the Mohave Desert to test behavioral activity of the
pre-processual archaeology in that region and, thus, they would depend upon oral
history to guide their research designs. If they do, I particularly recommend a
field study of LC-59 in the Sierra Juarez Mountains of Baja California.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.