HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:42:12 -0400
Whoops, that reference to the Nuzi tablets leads one to believe thay
were found in a cemetery, they were not. As I recall the clay tablets,
from about B.C. 1400, in the time of the "kingdom" of Mitanni, were
found just behind a wall, almost overlooked. The only  translation of
them I have seen was in the Drew University library in Madison, NJ. I
was there with Grossman and Associates in an archaeology of Mead Hall,
which had had a fire and in the reconstruction interested in some of
the "lost" locations of architectural features there when some of the
first roses to be cultivated in America, from China, were raised in
their "cold frames" ("Protective covering consisting of a wooden frame
with a glass top in which small plants are protected from the cold"
WordWeb) which also involved creating a "tree survey" in the "College
in the Forest" back in 1993 or so using infrared transit and then
current CAD software and hardware.

The capital of Mitanni has never been found. A fragment of a tablet
found elswhere alludes to a royal marriage between Mitanni and Egypt.
I'm sorry the papyrus boat sank, maybe it should be tarred all the way
to the top. Alexander the Great used to send for plants from the
"Socotra: The Forgothen Diamond of Yemen" an island  between Ethiopia
and Saudi Arabia according to herbology I came across the other day.

In the "Philosophy of Anthropology" it's stated that the biological
"wall" concept is borrowed for anthropology. It is a division between
gender in the natural world. How exactly it is incorporated into
anthropology is part of that book. Only Cinderella found her clothes
in a cemetery.

George Myers